Monday, February 20, 2006

Tanzania -- Life in the village


Our first few days in Tanzania were spent with dear friends, Mark & Cara, in a village about 3 hours west of Dar es Salaam. Here you see the fellows who bring water to this family. They each haul 3 of these big containers on their bicycles, making 5 trips a day, 5 days a week. When the rains come (and please pray for all of East Africa to receive rain. It is sorely needed), they will be able to collect water from the guttering around the roof.









Family time around the table learning a new game, Skipbo. It's been years since I've played, so we had to have the directions out to learn it correctly. Caitlyn, Lauryn and Benjamin were quick learners. Natalyn couldn't sit still long enough to get into the picture!






We took one morning to drive through a protected wild life area. These elephants were very close to the road. I'm taking this picture from the car.






The fee for driving through the game reserve was a stop at the lodge for a cup of tea or a soda. Then we loaded up and drove back through.



I wish I had a picture of the dear lady that Cara and I stopped to see. We sat with her on the dirt floor of her home and chatted about her new life in the Lord and the upcoming delivery of her 3rd child. What a privilege to be there!

3 comments:

alethea said...

Wow! So fun to see Mark & Cara. I'm thrilled to see more pictures and hear more stories.

Jill Pole said...

Mom - you are doing SUCH a good job with the blog. The pictures are really making this trip real. I feel like I can journey with you a little. I love you both and MISS YOU!!!!

Mom25 said...

Hey I agree with old Jill up there! The pictures are terrific! The children look so special and precious. Maybe, someday . . . I can actually come and meet them. What a great family.